Essential Website Maintenance – Thursday 9th January 2020

We will be carrying out essential website maintenance in the afternoon which will affect some functionality. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience the work may cause and will do all we can to keep disruption to an absolute minimum.
Home Business Licences and Permits Brown Tourism Signs

Brown Tourism Signs

Summary (optional)
Apply for brown tourism signs to help visitors to find your attraction or facility.
start content

What are tourism signs used for?

Brown tourism signs help people find their way safely along the most suitable route to a tourism destination.

Tourism signs direct tourists to attractions or facilities:

Attractions include: visitor centres, theme parks, historic buildings, museums, zoos, parks and gardens, natural attractions, areas of special interest, galleries, sports centres, concert venues, theatres and cinemas.

Facilities are: touring caravan and camping parks, picnic sites and tourist information centres and points. We will also consider remote hotels, guest houses and B&Bs, pubs, restaurants and holiday parks (where these places are outside the boundary of a village or town).

If you would like signage on the A55, A470 and A5 please visit the Welsh Government website.

Is my business eligible?

Your attraction or facility must:

  1. Be recognised by Visit Wales or an organisation approved by Visit Wales.
  2. Have adequate off-road parking on site or close to the attraction.
  3. Include direction to the attraction, including a map, in your advertising material.
  4. Provide a service or entertainment as your primary purpose
  5. Have the relevant planning consents in place for the business.

There are also specific criteria for some tourist facilities:

  • Camp sites that facilitate tents must be licenced under the Public Health Act 1936 and have a minimum of 20 pitches for casual overnight use.
  • Touring camp sites must be licenced under the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 and have a minimum of 20 pitches for casual overnight use.
  • Marinas must have more than 100 berths or 20 for canal based marinas.

How do I apply for tourism signs?

You can make an initial application by clicking on the button below. We will assess your application to decide whether installing tourism signs is suitable and appropriate.  Consideration will be given to road safety, traffic management and visual impact. Someone from our team will be in touch to complete your application.

The costs of the signs depends on the number and location of signs and the designs chosen. Before we start any work on the signs, we will give you a quotation for any costs you will need to pay.


Who will be responsible for the signs once in place?

The signs remain in the ownership of Conwy County Borough Council.

When a sign needs replacement because of fair wear and tear or if business circumstances have changed you may have to submit a new application.

If replacement signs are needed because of highway changes Conwy County Borough Council will cover the costs.

If a business no longer meets the eligibility criteria for brown signs, Conwy County Borough Council retains the right to remove the signs for that attraction or facility and ask the business to meet all the costs incurred.

Conwy County Borough Council retains the right to review the signage in a particular area when necessary.


end content