Essential Website Maintenance – Thursday 9th January 2020

We will be carrying out essential website maintenance in the afternoon which will affect some functionality. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience the work may cause and will do all we can to keep disruption to an absolute minimum.

Temporary Use Notice

Summary (optional)
An ad-hoc event with regard to gambling requires a temporary event notice (TUN) to be given to your local licensing authority no later than ten working days before the event.
start content

How to Apply

Temporary use notice may only be granted to a person or company holding a relevant operating licence, in effect a non-remote casino operating licence. May only be used to permit the provision of facilities for equal chance gaming, where the gaming is intended to produce a single overall winner.

You must:

  • Submit a copy of the notice in duplicate to the Licensing Authority at least ten/five working days (not including the submission date) before the event.
  • Submit a copy to Chief of Police for the area in which the use will occur.

The local authority will acknowledge receipt of the notice by giving a notice to the premises user before the end of the first working day it was received.

The notice must be in a specific format and must be made by someone over 18 years of age and contain:

  • details of the licensable activities
  • the event period
  • the times when during that period the activities will take place
  • the maximum number of people proposed to be allowed on the premises any other      required information

If the chief police officer who receives a notice, believes that the event would undermine crime prevention objectives may within two days of receipt serve an objection notice on the licensing authority and the premises user.

The licensing authority must hold a hearing if an objection notice is served. They may issue a counter notice if it considers it necessary for the promotion of crime prevention or public nuisance objective. A decision must be made at least 24 hours before the beginning of the event.

A police chief officer may modify the TUN with the consent of the premises user. In such a case an objection notice will be deemed to have been withdrawn.

Counter notices may be provided by the licensing authority if the number of permitted TUNs has been exceeded.

You will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.


The fee payable for a Temporary Use Notice Grant is £500

The fee payable for the replacement of a endorsed copy of a Temporary Use Notice is £25


Legislation and Conditions

Gambling Act 2005

Processing and Timescales

Appeal/Redress mechanisms:

If a counter notice is given in relation to an objection notice the applicant may appeal against the decision. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days from the day of the planned event.

If a licensing authority decides not to issue a counter notice in relation to an objection notice the chief police officer can appeal the decision. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days.

An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.

Contact Details

Licensing Section,
PO Box 1,
LL30 9GN

Useful Links


Temporary Use Notice Application

end content