We carried out a public consultation on the proposals from 18 September to 31 October 2020.
We have reviewed and considered all the responses and we are now working on revised plans.
A Masterplan for Colwyn Bay was originally published in 2010. The Masterplan brought together ideas, aspirations and concepts to help focus the regeneration of the town. This original Masterplan focused on four main areas:
- Parc Eirias
- Town Centre
Since then, Colwyn Bay has seen considerable investment and many changes. These include:
- coastal defences
- improving the promenade
- developing Eirias Events Centre
- building the new council offices at Coed Pella
- refurbishing Theatr Colwyn
- demolishing the old derelict Market Hall
We’re now reviewing and updating the proposals for the Town Centre.
Aims and objectives
The aims of the proposals are to:
- develop an environment that will encourage inward investment
- increase footfall
- provide better economic opportunities for local businesses and people
A Town Centre Performance Survey carried out in 2019 confirmed that improving the physical appearance of the town centre and parking were among the top priorities for local businesses and people.
Since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic in early 2020, more people are now walking and cycling, and shopping areas need space to allow social distancing.
With these priorities in mind, the updated proposals will:
- Create an attractive, distinctive town centre that people will want to spend time in - to work, shop or spend their leisure time
- Create greener, better quality spaces for people to enjoy, including transforming some areas
- Make the town centre easier and safer to access by walking and cycling
- Provide quality car parking closer to the town centre
- Raise awareness of the what the town centre has to offer
- Reduce the impact of concentrated traffic by dispersing it around the wider town centre road network