Essential Website Maintenance – Thursday 9th January 2020

We will be carrying out essential website maintenance in the afternoon which will affect some functionality. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience the work may cause and will do all we can to keep disruption to an absolute minimum.
Home Resident Births, marriages and deaths Approved Premises How to become an Approved Premise

How to Become an Approved Premise in Conwy

Summary (optional)
If you would like your venue to become an approved premises for civil ceremonies and civil partnerships, you can apply for an Approved Premises Licence which must be approved by the Local Authority.
start content

Do I need this licence and am I eligible?

The applicant must be the proprietor, trustee or acting on their behalf of the premises and the application must meet all requirements which are laid down by statute and by the Local Authority.

What you must do:

To apply you must submit a completed application form together with a plan of the premises and the required fee.

What we must do:

We will then arrange to carry out a formal inspection of the premises and place a statutory public notice on the Councils web site. Twenty one days after the notice has been placed if we have received no objections from the public, planning department or fire safety officer to the licensing of your venue, and providing the application meets the regulations and all necessary requirements,  your venue will become approved and a licence will be granted which is valid for three years.

What happens next?

Once your premises have been approved, the details of your venue would be publicised on our website and would be included in information packs which are provided to couples requesting information on ceremonies.

Charges and Fees:

Please see our Marriage, Civil Partnership and Registration Fees page.

Regulation summary:

  • Marriage Act 1949
  • Marriage Act 1994 (amended)
  • Civil Partnerships Act 1994
  • The Marriages and Civil Partnerships (Approved Premises) Regulations 2005
  • The Marriages and Civil Partnerships (Approved Premises) (Amendment) Regulations 2011

Redress mechanisms:

You have a right to seek a review of the Local Authority's decision. Your request for review must be submitted to the Licensing Authority so please contact us in the first instance.

Appendix A Conditions for Venues

In this section

Drag side panels here (optional)
end content