Registered childminders work in their own home, caring for other people's children and are regulated and inspected by CIW.
Delivered by PACEY, this is the recommended preparatory course for prospective and new childminders in Wales and it also covers the requirements for nannies.
Introduction to home-based childcare - IHC
This unit will be referred to as the IHC and is for prospective nannies and childminders. It provides an introduction to children’s care, play, learning and development in a home-based environment. The unit has the following learning outcomes:
- Legislation, national policies, guidance and regulatory frameworks requirements
for homebased childcare
- Working in partnership with families/carers in homebased childcare
- Health and wellbeing in home-based childcare
- Routines, changes and transitions in homebased childcare
- Holistic development of children in homebased childcare
- Welsh language and culture
- Professional practice in homebased childcare
Assessment: A portfolio of evidence will be required for this unit
Preparing for childminder practice- PCP
This unit will be referred to as the PCP and is for prospective childminders only. It gives knowledge to support their preparation for registration. The unit has the following learning outcomes:
- Registering as a childminder in Wales
- Professional practice in childminding
- Health and well-being in a childminding setting
- Effective business planning for a childminding service
Assessment: Professional discussions based on portfolio of work being completed to support registration as a childminder in Wales.