Essential Website Maintenance – Thursday 9th January 2020

We will be carrying out essential website maintenance in the afternoon which will affect some functionality. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience the work may cause and will do all we can to keep disruption to an absolute minimum.

Overview of Coastal Defence Proposals

Summary (optional)
start content

Overview of Coastal Defence Proposals

What’s the problem?

The coastal defences along this stretch of coastline are in varying conditions. They were not designed for the projected sea level rise and increasing storminess we can expect in the future

What are the plans?

The present coastal defence at Towyn Revetment, in front of the Golden Sands holiday park, includes a large rock armour barricade. The rock armour is in a good state of repair but does not provide enough protection from the sea level rise or increasing storminess. The plans include raising and widening the rock armour and raising the seawall.

The coastal defence along the frontage at Kinmel Bay West includes a seawall with no rock armour. The western seawall is currently too low to give sufficient coastal flood protection, so the plans include raising the seawall to increase protection.

Kinmel Bay East currently has a seawall with rock armour protection. This rock armour will be raised and widened, and the seawall will be raised.

Who is funding this?

We have successfully secured funding from the Welsh Government Coastal Risk Management Programme to cover 85% of the construction costs. Conwy County Borough Council will fund the remaining 15%.

What's happening?

Following consultation in 2022 and 2023, this scheme was granted planning permission in October 2023.We have appointed a contractor and work on this scheme will start later in 2024. Before that, the contractor will be working on design elements and stockpiling materials.We expect this work to be completed in winter 2025/26.


Next page

end content