Essential Website Maintenance – Thursday 9th January 2020

We will be carrying out essential website maintenance in the afternoon which will affect some functionality. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience the work may cause and will do all we can to keep disruption to an absolute minimum.
Home Resident Parking, Roads and Travel Roads and Pavements Dropped Kerbs (Section 184 Agreements)

Dropped Kerbs (Section 184 Agreements)

Summary (optional)
How to get permission for a dropped kerb
start content

We give permission for constructing dropped kerbs (also known as vehicular crossings, vehicular accesses or crossovers) for domestic and industrial use, on land that is part of the public highway. It is your responsibility to get any other permissions that are required. We strongly advise you to check there is no intervening land between your property and the highway boundary.

Do I need planning permission?

You will need to contact the Planning Department to check if you need planning permission. Any access onto a classified road needs planning permission, and other roads that do not have permitted development rights. We will not permit a new access until you have planning permission from the Planning Department.

Can you refuse my application?

Yes, if the crossing would be in an unsafe place. This could be at a junction, a place where it would be difficult to be seen or a bus stop.

You must have a space of at least 4.8 metres by 2.6 metres within the boundary of your property (with the longest length at a 90 degree angle (perpendicular) to the highway).

How long does it take for an application to go through?

When we receive your application form with all the requested information (including confirmation of planning permission if you need it) you should allow 4 weeks for the application to go through. You then have 6 months to complete the work. After this the approval will lapse and you'll need to re apply. If we approve your application we will give you standard construction details.

Who is responsible for the pipes and cables buried underground?

You are responsible for all costs associated with constructing the dropped kerb. If any of the pipes or cables need to be moved or lowered, you are also responsible for the extra cost.

How will I know if the work is satisfactory?

To make sure the work meets relevant specifications we carry out inspections - this cost is included in the fee. If a fault occurs within 2 years, the contractor is required to repair it.

Your rights

A dropped kerb outside your property does not give you any particular rights, except to drive across the pavement to gain access to your property. The crossing is part of the public highway.

Vehicle crossings during pavement works

If we receive your request in good time, it may be possible to include a dropped kerb if we are doing highway reconstruction work outside your property. There will be small charge for this service.

How to apply

Please contact our Development Control Section on 01492 575337 or e-mail for further advice on the specification to use. If emailing please fill the subject box with "Dropped Kerbs".

end content